Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Mission completed

Its been eleven days since I finished my half ironman tri, and even with the time and perspective I can still say I have ZERO desire to do a full ironman.  Forewarning now, I will continue to repeat that.

Here is what I learned in the pursuit and completion of this BHAG:

1. First that I had defined my BHAG the wrong way.  I thought this whole time my big hairy audacious goal was to finish 70.3 miles. When in reality, by definition of a BHAG, what I was truly in pursuit of a much more visionary goal and something emotional.  What I was in pursuit of is proving that I was strong enough mentally and physically to do it thus coming to a new level of self confidence.  I didn't really have this aha moment until I realized I had ZERO desire to do a full ironman. (Repeat #2)  I am pretty damn confident now!

2. To be okay with not being, first, or fast, or anything that relates to being elite.  This race, and the Olympic were humbling.   I was not the fastest in the water, but I had a reasonable time.  I was definitely not the fastest on the bike.  This proved to be true when another biker hit me going up hill because I was going to slow.  I was not the fastest running, even though at that point I was woggling (walk/jogging).  I had to come to terms and acceptance with just finishing (uninjured) as the accomplishment.   Finishing was proof enough that I am strong enough to deal with anything. 

3.  To follow your plan or you are planning to fail.  I know this sounds trite, but it really is true.  There is no way in hell I could have done this without the training I put into it.   It required a daily commitment on my part to train, and that ensured that I would be able to finish without injury.

4. Sharing this accomplishment is really important.  When I ran and finished my full marathon last year no one was waiting for me at the finish line because I picked a race that was out of state.  So no one was there to share the joy of the accomplishment.   That really ended up bumming me out.  I had just done something pretty damn cool and I had to hug a stranger to celebrate.

 However, since this race was "close" to home (45 minutes away) I was able to have my family there waiting for me when I finished.  I was so over joyed to see my husband and girls there (and they were glad to see me!)    I hope that my girls understand that staying committed and focused will allow them to do anything they want, even if it is to swim/bike/run over 70.3 miles.  Here are photos of the signs they made for me at the finish -



So now the questions begs itself, what's next?  I would really like to do Hood to Coast next year.  It just seems like a really cool race.   Perhaps I will adjust the focus on finding a new type of "strong" to continue to foster self confidence.

I will say I want another hundred moments like the one when I finished hand in hand with my girls.

1 comment:

  1. Marlo, I love this!!! What an awesome accomplishment. Way to prove to yourself that you were strong enough. So inspiring!!!

    ReplyDelete